Friday, July 19, 2013

Sautéed Cabbage


Sautéed Cabbage

       
so...I had used a big, beautiful head of cabbage brought to me fresh from a friend's garden, to make some delicious cabbage rolls (see previous post)...but, I only used the large outer leaves.  What to do with the rest of the head of blanched cabbage???
 
I started with a little flax oil (you could use olive oil) in my pan, warmed it up, chopped up the cabbage and got busy chopping and adding what ever else I had on hand (see suggestions below). Toss it well with your hands.  Then I sautéed it until tender and starting to brown up (about 5-8 minutes) and stirred it every 30 seconds or so.  When done, I added a bit of lemon oil (Tastefully Simple or Wegmans) and seasoned to taste. PS: the above picture is BEFORE I sautéed it.
 

Suggested Additions:                            

cabbage of course!*
onion (red*, yellow, white)
green peppers                                
red or yellow peppers*                              
leeks or green onion                               
mushrooms 
rapini (or broccoli rabe)*                             
spinach 
garlic* 
carrot shavings*
Flax seeds*
Kale or other dark greens

Suggested Seasonings:

course sea salt*
black pepper*
cilantro*
oregano
chives
Parsley
Basil
lemon juice
lemon or lime zest
 
*these are the things I used (shown in picture)
 
went nicely with the cabbage rolls as a side dish...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment